Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Yummy Yummy Snacky Time!

One of the guys at work has gone to Japan a few times for work-and he brought in snacks from Japan today. (I've been trading green tea samples with him lately.) Here's the low-down on the "treats" they like over there:
  • First, I tried the dried soybeans. I liked them quite a bit, if I could find them in the grocery store here, I'd buy them. They were a bit like wasabi peas, minus the wasabi.
  • Next up was candied kelp. They have a strange idea of candy there...and this was Not Good. I couldn't chew it up-it was salty and gross and extra kelpy.
  • After that I decided to branch out into the fish variaty. I took a small bit of something that looked like little squid. It wasn't bad. Kinda like fish leather. I wouldn't go out of my way to eat more, but I didn't spit it out.
  • There were also some sort of deep fried looking centipedes. I wouldn't try it, after seeing the look on the face of someone who did. (Though another guy said it was better than the kelp.)
  • Along with were some little dried minnows. I didn't try one of those either. Though I heard they didn't really taste like much of anything.
  • Next on the tasting plate...dried fish pieces, with what appeared to be sesame seeds on it. Very fishy and salty. Not a bad flavor...but the aftertaste wasn't so great.
  • After that, I bravely tried a little taste of what was being called "fruit rollup". Granted, the packaging made it look like a fruit rollup. It wasn't. In fact, it was nasty-fishy and something else. We decided it was their version of a meal replacement bar.
  • Then to clear out my mouth I ate some wasabi peas I had in my desk drawer. I couldn't even taste the wasabi on them. All I could taste was "fish rollup".
  • After that, I took a piece of clear hard candy. I know what you're all thinking...that it would taste like fish. But you'd be wrong. It tasted like nothing. I could taste some sweet, but it did get rid of the fish taste. Maybe their version of a tic tac?
  • I have a wrapped up piece of some jelly candy to try later-I heard its supposed to be some sort of ginger candy, but mostly tastes like nothing.
  • No one would try the kelp gum. Craig (the guy who brought the stuff in) said it was the most disgusting thing ever.

And that's been my adventure in food today!

No comments: