Friday, September 12, 2008

Art or Something like it...

In an attempt to be brave, I'm going to scan some of the pictures I've made and share them. Doing this makes my stomach hurt a bit. I'm not all that confident in my skills. One of the things I would love to learn to do is use color and shading better. One of my friends (hi Alisha!) is absolutely brilliant with that. She can make round things look round. Her water drops and globes are amazing. Her drawings have such depth. I can do ok, if I keep things very cartoony looking. Flat and solid colors, with no interesting lighting. Anyway, here is some of the stuff I've done and haven't burned. Ha!

Here we have a colored pencil. I wish I could lay claim to the design, but I did copy it out of a book of dragon designs. Though I didn't trace it, I still didn't create the idea of it. I have a few of these that I've been playing with...trying to work on actually using colors. I ended up really loving the background on this. Its great how mistakes can make something end up better. I had smeared some of the red from resting my hand on the picture, so I couldn't leave the background white like I had planned. Brown hid the red quite nicely.





This is a watercolor...I really wanted to add a little touch of colored pencil to the leaf shape, but I'm afraid I'll ruin the painting. So far I haven't had any sucess in reproducing something similar yet...apparently I ran into some luck when I did this one. (It was originally supposed to be some flowers...they made me angry, so I smeared them all together, and set all sorts of stuff on top of the resulting mess.) The end result made me happy. Who knew that fall window stickies and Halloween fake spider webs could make something so nice. =)


Those two are the finished ones that are actually hanging on my wall. Later today, I'll make a post about a work in progress...and try to scan it in as it changes...just for my own amusement. (Also will be helpful if I try to do to much to it and ruin it in the process-I'll have saved bits that I can use from eariler.)
Added: The work in progress didn't get posted because it was sketched too lightly for the scanner to pick up.




2 comments:

Alisha said...

Hi! I'm glad that you are blogging. I love the sock post. Haha! I think these pictures are great. I love the leaf one. I am thinking about doing my bedroom in a fall leaf design. I like your picture so much that I might try to imitate it somewhere in the room. Go you!

You should put a link up so that I can subscribe to your blog!

Amy said...

Yay! I love that leaf one too. I think I'm going to try again to make some more of them. I had bought three little picture frames to put them in...but with the one picture, I ended up using them for neat postcards.

I pushed some buttons on the settings page, maybe you can subscribe now? If not, I don't know how to fix it. Let me know, I can try looking through help stuff and figure it out.