Tuesday, September 9, 2008

When I was very little....

Cartoons used to be so much better when I was younger. You know, when I had to walk two miles uphill to school, during a blizzard...wearing newspapers on my feet because I didn't have shoes. But I've made a recent discovery. I can actually get in a PBS station on my rabbit ears! Yay! And there's a rather lovely cartoon on it...all about Curious George. Last night I learned all about making apple cider. The squeals and monkey noises he spouts out really make me happy. Though, I must admit...I wonder about the Man in the Yellow Hat. Why does he like yellow so much? Why did he wear an old fashioned yellow bathing suit when they went to the beach? Why does he have a pet monkey?

Its no Fraggle Rock, but its really one of the best cartoons I've seen in a very long time (of course, Fraggles weren't cartoons-for the most part-there was that short-runned cartoon version). I really miss the Fraggles, I'm so glad almost all of them are on DVD now. I've been watching them again, and I'm amazed at how different the show is now that I'm watching it as an adult (or as adult as I'll ever be). I didn't realize it when saw it as a child, but there are so many lessons to learn in the show...but they're subtle lessons. No after-school-special "what did we learn from this" sort of talks at the end. The brillance of the show is completely amazing. I can see where it helped shape me into the person I am today. I think that's part of the problem with so many cartoons, the creators of them don't realize the power they have. Jim Henson was a genius and I'm so glad I was the perfect age for the Fraggles when they were on tv.

No comments: