Wednesday, November 12, 2008

I'm a quitter!

I've decided to give up on the attempt to write a novel this month. Its just not going to happen. I managed almost 5,000 out of the 50,000. I don't have the time to do this right now, and it would have been a struggle to make it happen if everything had been going right. Since things have not been going right, I came to the decision that I need to focus on other things, and not even see how far I can get. I can always do this on my own some other time...just pick a month and do it myself.

I've had a bit of a lingering cold/cough for the last 6 weeks or so (since I was on vacation). This weekend it came back and then some. So another trip to the doctor, and heard more gibberish about this just having to run its course. But at least this time I insisted that they give me some medicine and now I have so super cough syrup that actually keeps me from coughing. Yay! (Well, at least most of the time.) So that should help with the rib damage that it caused...it'll at least have a chance to heal. I've never hurt my ribs before...its not pleasant. I don't recommend that.

3 comments:

Jess said...

Rib damage?! Ouchie. :( Hope you're feeling better.

I'm a quitter, too! Well, I haven't quit. Rather, it's just not going to happen in a month-- and it doesn't help that the spirit of friendly competition makes me want to resist the deadline. I'm switching to Dan Guy's system: start something, and finish when you finish. Works for me.

Amy said...

I am so much better now. I got some medicine to stop the coughing. My ribs are almost completely back to normal.

I guess you're right, I haven't exactly quit, I'll get back to my story sometimes. I have picked at it a little bit since I gave up on getting it written in a month. I've found some more things out about my characters, and that wouldn't have happened if I had just kept churning out the words.

Jess said...

Glad that you're better! The coughing is the worst.

Churning out words only works until it doesn't, I think. :D I envy people who can work that way, chugging along from beginning to end. It just doesn't happen for me. I get so far, and then I have to stop, look around, and figure out where the heck I am-- or if in fact I'm going anywhere. What trying to Nano has taught me, if anything, is that I need to be a lot more patient with my own working rhythm.